Xanathar's Guide to EverythingNovember 7, 2017
Take a look at the world through the many eyes of the Xanathar, an infamous beholder crime lord in the newest expansion called Xanathar’s Guide to Everything.
The first major expansion for the fifth edition of Dungeons & Dragons will be available at Game Goblins in Little Rock, Ark. Stop by Game Goblins, located on Bowman road in west Little Rock, and chat with us about Xanathar’s Guide to Everything.
Randomize your character’s backstory, create traps like never before, try out over 25 new subclasses, and more.
Xanathar’s Guide to Everything is an expansion for the fifth-edition adventure of D&D, Tomb of Annihilation. The expansion is a compilation of new features based on the feedback creators received after releasing various playtests on the web. They included the best features and added to areas players thought could use more depth.
Who is this Xanathar fellow?
For those of you who are unfamiliar with this crime lord, here are a few things you should know.
- He lives exclusively under the city of Waterdeep. Without traveling—possibly to avoid confirming the rumor that the real Xanathar has been murdered and replaced a few times—he has managed to rule his massive criminal organization and learn a lot about the world. How? Through intermediaries.
- Xanathar is quite psychotic. He has complete control within his organization, but no trust. He is known for holding information on anyone. Collecting information keeps him in power. By collecting lore about adventurers he believes he will be more effective at thwarting any and all adventurers. In his mind, he plans on collecting every piece of information—a guide to everything.
- Nothing means more to the sanity of the Xanathar than his pet goldfish. Should the fish die a massive panic echos through the organization as they try to replace the beloved pet before the master overlord finds out. What’s the gold fish’s name? We have to wait until the release of the expansion to find out.
What inspired Xanathar’s Guide to Everything?
Xanathar’s Guide to Everything is the first major expansion to the fifth-edition adventure of Dungeons and Dragons, the Tomb of Annihilation.
Developers released various D&D playtests on a website for players to try out and give feedback. After about a year these tests were examined to determine what adventurers were looking for. D&D writers used this expansion to fill in any gaps the Tomb of Annihilation had. The best ideas, the ones that added to the game and resonated well with the adventurers, were drafted and went into the 200 pages of Xanathar’s Guide to EVerything.
Adventurers can expect to see new subclasses, spells, tools, rule options, toys, and more. They will also gain new insight to the Xanathar as they see the world through the crime lords many eyes.
The expansion is about 200 pages. The special edition is illustrated by Hydro74.
What can adventurers expect from this expansion to the Tomb of Annihilation?
Traps. Who doesn’t love figuring their way out of a good trap? The Tomb of Annihilation was already full of mostly puzzle-based traps. The Xanathar’s Guide to Everything adds more depth to traps. Aspiring Dungeon Masters can follow guidelines and mechanics to design their own unique traps.
Subclasses. Each class gets three or more new subclasses. That’s over 25 character classes for adventurers to choose from. The only exception is the wizard class. After testing, developers recognized that none of the new subclass ideas for wizards really stood out.
Here are a few subclasses to look forward to.
- Cavalier for the fighter,
- Circle of Dreams for the druid,
- Horizon Walker for the ranger, and
- Inquisitive for the rogue.
Players also have the option to create a randomized backstory.
Down time. Based on the feedback developers received from their many tests, players wanted down time to have more depth. Down time isn’t just a blank space between adventures. Your characters can do things between adventures like buy a magic item or get a job.
If you’ve been exploring Tomb of Annihilation (released in September), than you’ll appreciate this expansion.
Play Dungeons & Dragons and other role playing games at Game Goblins. Check out our events page here: https://gamegoblins.com/events/
You can also coordinate with other D&D enthusiasts on the Game Goblins RPG Guild facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/gamegoblinsrpgguild/